The Technical Association of the Graphic Arts was originally conceived in a lounge at the Parker House Hotel in Boston in October 1947 when Dr. Frederick Frost, research director of S.D. Warren Paper Company met with Michael Bruno, research director of the Lithographic Technical Foundation (LTF, predecessor to Graphic Arts Technical Foundation, now Printing Industries of America) to discuss the concept for a technical association for the printing industry.

As a result of that meeting the concept for a new organization was discussed and approved at the next meeting of the LTF Research Committee. Michael Bruno was elected the first president and he and Dr. Marvin Rogers, research director of R.R. Donnelley & Sons, wrote the constitution and by-laws. The first conference was held in Chicago in April of 1949, drawing 124 attendees, including 92 of the original 149 charter members.

The organization flourished over the years, quickly becoming the preeminent international organization dedicated to the research and development of graphic communications technology. It has been a catalyst for innovation by sharing ongoing research via scientific and technical papers. The TAGA paper archive, available free to members, now exceeds 2,000 papers.

When the 50th anniversary of TAGA was celebrated at the 1998 Annual Technical Conference, 295 people attended from 16 different countries. In 2013 TAGA become part of the Printing Industries of America. In 2018 TAGA turned 70 and is still going strong. We invite you to become part of a collective community of some of the most knowledgeable individuals on the science and technology of graphic communications in the world.